english discussion 56
For your very first TED Talk discussion, please watch the following video on why we, as humans, love story and are hooked by a good one. The speaker of this talk, Lisa Cron has worked in publishing at W.W. Norton, as an agent at the Angela Rinaldi Literary Agency, as a producer on shows for Showtime and CourtTV, and as a story consultant for Warner Brothers and the William Morris Agency. Since 2006, she’s been an instructor in the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program. She is the author of the book “Wired for Story: The Writer’s Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence.”
After you have watched the TED Talk, respond to the following questions:
- According to Lisa Cron, why do humans love a good story? How does she come to her conclusions?
- What were two specific details she gave during her talk that stood out to you? Why did you pick them?
- What is the most important point that Cron makes during this video? Why is it important? (You can make connections to yourself or to the wider world at large.)
- What was your big takeaway or AHA moment from this video? Why did you connect with it?
- Your initial response should be 200-300 words per question.
- Your response to a classmate should be 150-200 words long and be more than “I agree” or “I like what you said.” Engage in conversation!