correctional facilities 3
This assignment will assess the following competency: Analyze the functions and goals of public policy in the law.
Directions: Write a brief essay using the following format:
- Answer the directions below in no more than 1,500 words.
- The assignment should be submitted using Microsoft Word with default margins, using 12 point Times New Roman black font, be double-spaced, and be in essay format.
- Default Margin Formatting:
- Alignment: Left
- Outline Level: Body Text
- Indentation: Left and Right: 0
- Special: None
- By: Leave blank
- Spacing: Before and After: 0
- Line Spacing: Double
- At: Leave blank
- Donâ€™t add space between paragraphs of same style: check
Imagine that you are the Warden of prison with an average of a 130,000 inmate population. Your prison is located California. A recent investigation revealed that your prison is in numerous violations of state and federal codeâ€¦ and that a lawsuit is now being brought against the state for violating the civil rights of the inmates (and an 8th Amendment violation).
The following were a few of the violations, as alleged by the lawsuit, that were found at your prison:
- Inmates were housed in the gymnasium without adequate waste disposal or shower facilities.
- Inmates were given positions of authority, by the corrections officers, in the gymnasium so â€˜orderâ€™ could be maintained.
- There were numerous violations of a third person being assigned to live in a two-person cell.
There are news cameras and reporters surrounding the exterior of the prison. They are seeking to talk to anyone who can comment on the allegations and the lawsuit. You have ordered that nobody is to speak to the media and you contacted the media to tell them that you gave such an order and that any comments made, by prison staff, were not representative of the prison.
You realize that you have to say somethingâ€¦ to make some statement to the press. You start to compose your thoughtsâ€¦ and realize that all of the alleged violations (above) are a result of inadequate funding for the prison. You now decide to compose your statement by answering the questions, below, as a guide for your thoughts:
* I encourage you to use real-life situations, research, and analysis- from California- as you compose the answers.
Address the following questions:
- Why is your prison inadequately funded? Have there been recent (or past) economic issues that impacted the budget negatively?
- What is the root of the issue supposing that the violations are true?
- What measures has California taken to address this issue?
- What is your specific action plan to address the violations (supposing that all are true)?
* Include at least three academic or professional sources to support your work.